Thursday, May 28, 2009

Keeping kids rear facing as long as possible

This is something I get questioned about A LOT. I think a big reason is because Aiden is so tall for his age people think he should be forward facing. I get a lot of, "He looks so uncomfortable." or " His legs are so long" My number one concern as his mother is to keep him safe. After doing a lot of research I decided to keep him rear facing as long as it meant he was safer. Allen and I agreed that is was the right decision for us as a family.
We will be moving Aiden to face forward soon because his head is nearing the top of his car seat, when we should be moving him. It works out great also because Jake is nearing the weight limit for his infant carrier. He is a chunker at almost 20 lbs!!! (only 5 1/2 months!) The weight limit is 22 lbs. I figure with in the next month we will install the other convertible car seat (same as Aiden's seat now) forward facing and put Aiden in that one and Jake in Aiden's rear facing one.
For anyone who is curious here is a link to the safety of keeping your kids rear facing:
http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

1 comment:

  1. This is what I intend to do as well. Its great you have been able to keep Aiden rear-facing for that long :)

    ReplyDelete